Springfield, MO 417-222-4878
Joplin, MO 417-222-4878

What is Third-Party Liability in a Car Accident?

Chances are that most people will be involved in at least one accident
during their life. While
car accidents can range from minor to severe, even minor accidents can end up costing
thousands of dollars when you add up medical bills, lost wages, pain and
suffering, and property damage.

Just as it is important to understand what to do immediately after a car
accident, it is also essential to understand the different types of auto
insurance policies you can get and what these policies cover in the event
of a car accident.

First-Party Insurance vs. Third-Party Liability

When an individual obtains an insurance policy through their insurance
company, they are covered in the event of an accident.

Third-party liability is a type of insurance policy in which the insurance
will only cover damages that occurred to another person involved in an
accident with the insured driver. To collect compensation after a car
accident, the injured party would file a third party claim with the at
fault driver’s insurance.

For example, if a driver (first party) has third-party liability insurance
and they get into a car accident with another vehicle, the injured passengers
(third party) in that vehicle would be able to file a third-party liability
claim with the driver’s insurance company (second party). In any
case, the insured driver will have to cover their own damages, as the
insurance company is only required to compensate the third party.

Is Third-Party Liability Required?

In most states, third-party liability is the minimum type of insurance
that automobile drivers must have. There are two types of auto liability
insurance: bodily injury and property damage. The first covers things
such as medical bills, medications, and emotional damages while the other
covers costs for damages to the automobile or other property.

These expenses can rack up faster than you think after an accident. That’s
why it is so critically important to talk with an attorney after you’ve
been involved in an accident.

Insurance companies may try to avoid paying settlements to someone who
has been hurt in a car accident. If you’ve been involved in an accident
and need help fighting for your rights to compensation, don’t hesitate
to contact
Johnson, Vorhees & Martucci. We serve clients across Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma, and
we’re very familiar with third party liability. While insurance
companies will be looking out for their own best interests, we will be
looking out for yours.

Contact our firm at (833) 600-0125 to get a free consultation.

Car Accidents

Who Pays Your Medical Bills After An Accident?

You’ve been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault. The other driver should pay your medical bills, right? What about the other driver’s insurance? Won’t it pay your medical expenses? The short answer is that you are responsible for your own medical bills, at first. If the other driver is found to be at fault, their insurance should reimburse you. Receiving a settlement from an insurance company can take

Truck Accidents

Who is responsible for ensuring safe transfer of oversize/overweight truck loads? P.1

Last time, we looked a bit at some of the basic principles of cargo securement by which commercial vehicle drivers and their employers must abide. As we noted last time, special permits are required for oversize loads, and each state has different rules on the matter. Here in Missouri, weight, height, and length limits determine when an application for an oversize and overweight permit must be filed. Applications must be

Motorcycle Accidents

The Red Light Won’t Turn Green – What Can A Motorcyclist Do?

If you ride a motorcycle, you have probably had this happen to you: You come to an intersection and stop for the red light. There are no other cars or vehicles stopped at the light with you, so you patiently sit alone at the light and wait — and wait — and wait even longer. The light will just not turn green. You try rolling back a little, then forward

Contact Us.

    Submitting the form is not necessarily establishing an attorney-client relationship